Thursday, July 15, 2010

Independence Day!

We made tie-dye shirts on Monday July 5th. The kids loved it--Grant kept running around saying "We are a tie-dye family!!"

(I bought the kit 3 years ago and we finally did it! I just had to buy 2 new shirts and bump everyone else up a size or two :)

Silly faces


Grant getting ready for the softball game



Garrett getting face-painted


Miya enjoyed her first 4th of July, complete with church picnic, tug-o-war and foot races, watermelon, fireworks and swimming. (you can kind of see her doing her tongue-twisting trick. She does it non-stop, just to show off. I can't for the life of me do it, but Tyler can. I think it is a talent you are born with or not.)

We had a few snaps, sparklers and firecrackers to light off at home, which everyone but Grant enjoyed. After retreating to the house for a round of firecrackers Grant emerged and said, "Can we never do that again?"


It was a great weekend to reflect on the blessings of family and freedom. I recently read "The 5,000 year leap" and have been deeply impressed by the freedoms we so abundantly enjoy.
So many inspired souls fought to lay the foundation for this great nation, and so many have lived and died to protect that freedom. I keep thinking "where much is given, much is required" and want to do all I can to help preserve the freedom I enjoy everyday. Cause freedom isn't really free. So from one proud American to another, happy Independence Day (just a wee bit late)!

3 comments:

Emily and Seth said...

Yay! I'm so glad you are posting again, Lani (despite your million other things you have to do) It really brightens our week. Although,it makes us want to jump on a plane to come visit you guys, and I don't think our bank account will like that. So we'll just have to wait. Are you coming for Thanksgiving? I hope so.

I love all the pictures. Ty has a pretty scary face going on in the silly face pic. I'm sure he is very proud of that.

I felt like Grant walking a mile to our car at 11:00pm from the fireworks, fighting the crowds, and trying to get hot, exhausted cranky children to keep moving towards the car. "Can we never do that again!?" Sparklers at home are so much easier.

Angela said...

I am so glad you are posting more lately! Kyra feels the same way as Grant about fireworks.

AmyJo said...

I love all your updated pics and stories! We miss you guys!